As today is New Year’s Day and according to Chinese zodiac, 2019 is the year of the Pig, I wanted to sew a cute pig softie that has a special feature as well. Therefore I created this lovely wool felt piggy bank, in which your child can put real coins, or if you prefer making a little mascot that brings happiness, health and fortune in the new year, simply stuff it to turn it into an adorable pig softie. Let’s see how to do so.
The size of the finished piggy bank is about 12 x 14.5 cm.
What will you need?
- wool felt (pink in 2 or 3 shades, white, black, green)
- threads in matching colours
- black embroidery thread for the mouth
- OPTIONAL: a small amount of toy stuffing (if you want to make a stuffed piggy)
- printed PDF sewing pattern
- sewing needle
- erasable marking pen
- Trace the pattern pieces onto wool felt, and carefully cut them out. (Flip over the paper pattern pieces before tracing them onto the “wrong side” of the wool felt.)
- Sew the eyeballs on the big, white eyes piece.
- Sew the nostrils on the snout.
- Sew the eyes on the head.
- Sew the snout on the head. Make sure that it covers the bottom of the eyes a bit.
- You might want to trim the felt underneath the snout carefully (see the photo above) so later you’ll have to sew only 2 layers of felt together.
- Embroider the mouth using balck embroidery thread.
- Sew the two felt layers of the outer ear and tail leaving their bottom open. (To make assembling easier, you can work with only 1 layer of felt for these body parts, but 2 layers of felt are more durable.)
- Using your template as a guide, attach the outer ear and the tail to the body with a couple of small stitches.
- Sew the inner ear, too.
- Sew the shamrock on the body.
- Place the front piece onto the back piece. Pin them together if desired.
- Sew them all around with small blanket or whip stitches, leaving an approximately 4 cm / 1 1/2″ (or even bigger) opening on the top.
Aaand your felt piggy bank is finished! 🙂
If you prefer making a cute piggy mascot instead, just put a small amount of stuffing in the pig through the opening. (I used IKEA pillow stuffing for that.) Close the opening and arrange the stuffing by giving a little massage to the piggy.
Your mascot is finished!
Don’t forget to post a photo of your finished piggy bank in the Patch Poppets Sewing Patterns FB group. I’m really curious to see it! 🙂
I wish you happiness, good health, good luck, creativity and happy sewing for the new year!